Thursday, April 3, 2014

Confessions of a newly indoctrinated Marshmallow


I know, I know… this is a tv blog and here it is the first real post and its partially about a movie.  Irony. But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s backtrack.

For those who are not in the know, Veronica Mars fans refer to themselves as Marshmallows. For a great deal of time from when the show premiered to when it was abruptly cancelled (and even beyond this) I kept hearing, “It’s a really great show, you’ll really love it, etc.”  I wasn’t too sure about it. A teenage detective? Really? Sounds a bit silly. (Heck it’s in the first few lines of the movie.) But I always told myself I’d get around to watching it… eventually. Even if I thought it sounded silly. Oh, how wrong I was.


Jump forward a bit. Not only was it announced that the movie was being made, but that a record-breaking kickstarter account supported by the fans of the show would be financing it. I am a huge supporter of fandom and the things it can accomplish, so I suddenly thought to myself, “Maybe I really should check it out.” That was the beginning of the end of my non-Marshmallow-dom. I can honestly say that I have never fallen harder or faster into a fandom than I did with this.
I became a rabid LoVe shipper, and looked forward to watching every episode. I’m pretty sure I watched the entire show in the span of a couple weeks. Which leads me to the movie.


The movie left me feeling extremely happy and pleased as a new Marshmallow. It had that perfect balance of humor and suspense, which make a really satisfying story. There were a number of references and inside jokes from the show that new viewers might not recognize, but I know I certainly did. It was almost as though the cast and crew were winking at me, which I must say, is a wonderful experience.

To be completely truthful the only negative thing I found with the movie was that it was so well done that it left me wanting more. To embrace the addict metaphor used in the film, it gave me a fix, but now I’m left wondering where I am to get the next.
Perhaps it’s the newly published book (meant to start a series), which picks up where the film leaves off and returns creator Rob Thomas to his former novel writing days. It even boasts an audio book version that is to be narrated by Kristen Bell herself. If all of this isn’t devotion to the fandom, then I don’t know what is.

While it still remains to be seen as to whether or not there will be a sequel for our favorite titular sleuth, one thing remains certain to me. Whatever form the future of this fandom takes (more novels, more movies, etc.) I will be there waiting, passionate as ever. What can I say? I'm a Marshmallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment