Wednesday, April 2, 2014

It begins.


HELLO! Welcome! Bienvenue! Wilkommen! Come on in!

Thanks for joining us! Or me! (There isn’t more than one of me… I swear.) I’m guessing if you don’t already know me, you probably have some questions. For instance, “Who is this weirdo?”

Who am I? Honestly I’m just some guy. I don’t claim to be a genius or a visionary. I’m just a guy with an overactive imagination and an obsession with television.  Many people think that television is just a thing to lose ourselves in when we don’t want to deal with our lives. A place to zone out and not have to think about anything. But that’s not me. Television that is done well could and should make us think more. Complex storylines, moral issues, dramatic twists of plot. Who are we as a civilization? What motivates us? Because really, the characters of the shows we love and connect with the most are extensions of us. So in a way, in spending time with them (albeit through a television screen), we are in essence getting to know ourselves further. I even had one friend go so far as to say, “Everything I know about morality and how to treat others, I learned from television,” and that is something that I very passionately agree with. It teaches us by showing us life.  That life is often fantastical and heightened certainly, but it is life nevertheless.

That’s what I want this blog to be about. Sharing with others my thoughts on television both current and occasionally less recent classic programming. I view television as something special, and I can only hope that in reading this you come to agree with me (if you don’t already :D).

No comments:

Post a Comment